Adding a water feature to your yard or garden is a fantastic way to create a beautiful, relaxing space. Not only can a well-designed water feature enhance the overall look of your property but it can also increase the resale value of your home. That means that you can usually recoup your investment when it comes time to sell your home in the future.
Some homeowners mistakenly believe that installing a water feature is not very complicated. However, it is far more difficult than you might think. Not only do you need a good eye for design, but you also need knowledge of how best to deal with any plumbing, electrical, or water treatment related issues associated with the project.
For instance, if you want an outdoor pond with a fountain, you will need to figure out how to get the water into the pond and how to operate the fountain. This usually requires both plumbing and electrical work. On top of that, you also need to figure out how to properly treat the water in the pond so that it doesn’t grow algae or develop other issues. This can be a rather complex topic. Learning everything that you need to know on your own can be a bit overwhelming.
Because of that, your best bet is probably to hire a contractor to install the water feature for you. The following tips will help you find the best water feature builder for your yard or garden:
1. Get recommendations. One of the best ways to find a reliable contractor that specializes in water features is by asking around. Start paying attention when you drive around town. Are there any water features that you love? Feel free to check out both commercial and residential properties as you drive by.
Make a note of your favorite water features. Then, stop and ask the owner of the property who did the work. Usually, they will be more than happy to provide you with the name of the contractor. In fact, they will probably be quite flattered that you liked their water feature enough to stop and ask.
2. Check online. The Internet can also be great for finding a reliable contractor. Start by searching for contractors in your area who specialize in water features. Next, for each contractor you find, search for reviews from their past clients. This can help you get a better idea of how easy they are to work with and how skilled they are at their jobs. Jot down the contact information of any companies that look promising.
Next, spend some time viewing each contractor’s website to see photos of their past work. Most contractors will post images of projects that they have worked on in the past. This should give you a good idea of whether the design style that the contractor uses is a good fit for the overall look that you are going for with your property.
3. Check with your local lumber yard or building supply company. Another way that you can go about finding the best water feature builder is by talking to other professionals in the construction industry.
Consider asking around at your local lumber yard to see if they can recommend someone who does a great job of installing these types of outdoor features. Chances are, they will have a good idea of which contractors are the most popular and well-respected. They are highly unlikely to recommend a contractor unless they are sure that they will do the job right. This can be a great way to find a builder that is reliable and well-respected within the industry.
4. Get more than one estimate. Even if you find a contractor that you love, you should get estimates from several other contractors as well. That way, you can be sure that the price you are being quoted is fair. Granted, there will naturally be differences in price from one company to the next. However, these differences should be relatively minor. If one company is far more expensive than the others, you should try to find out why. There may be a good reason for it.
For instance, they may use higher quality materials or have more experience in the business. In other cases, however, they could be trying to take advantage of you. It is important to know what a fair price for the project is so that you can determine whether or not the prices you are being quoted are reasonable.
5. Ask about ongoing maintenance. Before you decide to go through with the project, you should talk to the contractor about what steps will be required to maintain the water feature in the future. Ideally, you should choose a low-maintenance option. Otherwise, you could find yourself quickly getting tired of dealing with ongoing maintenance. A good contractor should be able to make recommendations for low maintenance water features that still look amazing.
Finding the best water feature builder for your yard or garden is all about doing careful research. Although the process can be time-consuming, in the end, it will be worth it. The better job you do of choosing a reliable contractor, the more likely you are to get a water feature you love. Not only that but by working with a well-respected professional, you can rest easy knowing that you aren’t paying any more than necessary for the work.